About the Center for the Future of Aging
The Milken Institute Center for the Future of Aging promotes healthy, productive, and purposeful aging to improve lives and strengthen societies. To accomplish this mission, the Center:
- Evaluates policies and practices, innovative models, and potential solutions to enhance health, well-being, and opportunity across the lifespan.
- Elevates awareness by convening and partnering with influential decision-makers and media leaders to change perception and motivate action.
- Advocates for change in the public and private sectors to ensure a better future for today’s older adults and for generations to come.
Through its Healthy Longevity program, the Center for the Future of Aging seeks to increase awareness of developing knowledge, evidence-based programs, and strategies to promote prevention and wellness for longer, healthier lives. Recognizing the growing prevalence of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias, we seek to develop and promote optimal strategies to maintain and improve brain health for all ages, genders, and across diverse populations. The Center also works to find innovative solutions to finance long-term care support services and keep people independent and healthy as long as possible.
The Milken Institute Center for the Future of Aging (CFA) is looking for a talented professional to lead our communications and marketing efforts as well as to provide programmatic support to our Healthy Longevity program. The Associate Director will be primarily responsible for elevating the profile of CFA within its target market of policymakers, researchers, foundations, advocacy organizations, corporations, financial institutions, and the general public. In addition, the Associate Director will support Center staff and assume increasing responsibility for the execution of high impact projects, events, and communications strategies to build awareness and effect change.
Communications and Marketing Responsibilities:
- Develop and lead execution of a marketing and thought leadership strategy for CFA, including traditional media, social media, etc. in coordination with the Institute’s Marketing & Communications (M&C) team
- Draft content for thought leadership pieces, including opinion pieces, blog posts, white papers, etc., and work with the M&C team on placement and promotion.
- Collaborate with M&C team and other organizations in CFA’s network to develop communications campaigns connected to broader marketing/communication goals.
- Develop key communications tools, including fact sheets, case studies, slides, and infographics.
- Manage content development for CFA’s digital presence, including website, and social channels.
- Support CFA’s Business Council and Academic and Policy Advisory Board and collaborate with communications teams in CFA support organizations.
- Stay updated on the work of both the CFA team and the M&C team and liaise between the teams to facilitate internal communications.
- Identify potential media partners and opportunities for co-creation of content with other Institute centers, fellows, and experts, as well as external organizations and individuals that share CFA’s mission and commitment to change.
Healthy Longevity Programmatic Responsibilities:
- Prepare drafts, analyze inputs, and support creation of reports that assess prevention and wellness initiatives among older populations.
- Conduct literature review and research on trends and innovations for Center reports, presentations, and briefings.
- Construct program implementation timelines, work plans, and project management structures.
- Collaborate with CFA team members to develop policy proposals, tools, and resources to promote prevention, wellness, and scientific advancement to extend healthy life.
- Develop program agendas, descriptions, and speaker ideas for Institute events.
- Communicate effectively through writing and speaking with sponsors, donors, and senior-level experts.
- Support business development, outreach, and expansion opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree with outstanding academic record required; Master’s degree preferred, with emphasis in communications or public affairs.
- 7-10 years of increasingly responsible and relevant work experience in sophisticated nonprofit, corporate, government, professional services or academic institutions, preferably with exposure to both the public and private sectors.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and communications skills.
- Subject matter knowledge of aging and/or health policy preferred.
- Mission-driven, focus, and demonstrated work and performance ethic.
- Strong interpersonal and client relationship/customer service skills.
- Superior project management skills with ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Personal attitude that includes being self-motivated, action-oriented, flexible, with a willingness to adapt to changing situations and having a good sense of humor.
- High intellectual capacity that can be and has been applied to learning new fields.
- High level of computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office, Adobe, and other web-based communications tools. Prefer candidates with higher level capabilities, particularly in design software for presentations.
Working Conditions & Travel Requirements
This position will work in a professional office environment. This person will also be required to travel to other offices and venues to assist with events, requiring occasional work outside of traditional hours. International along with domestic travel is possible.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all applications materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.
About the Milken Institute
The Milken Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank. We catalyze practical, scalable solutions to global challenges by connecting human, financial, and educational resources to those who need them.
We leverage the expertise and insight gained through research and the convening of top experts, innovators, and influencers from different backgrounds and competing viewpoints to construct programs and policy initiatives. Our goal is to help people build meaningful lives, in which they can experience health and well-being, pursue effective education and gainful employment, and access the resources required to create ever-expanding opportunities for themselves and their broader communities.