The Milken Institute is seeking a Human Resources (HR) Generalist to support the Milken Institute’s HR Department. This is an exciting career opportunity for someone with intellectual curiosity, a strong work ethic, a drive to achieve, and a capacity for administrative work of all kinds.
A globally focused, publicly supported, non-partisan and nonprofit think tank headquartered in Santa Monica, California, the Milken Institute’s mission is to improve lives around the world by advancing innovative economic and policy solutions that create jobs, widen access to capital and enhance health.
Employing the tools of research, convening and collaborating with leaders from finance, industry, public policy, philanthropy and the social sector, the Institute works toward practical and actionable solutions to cure disease, create jobs, spread opportunity, spur economic development and implement energy and environmental practices that promote sustainability.
We are looking for a HR Generalist to join our team in Washington, DC and implement various human resources programs. The HR Generalist will report to the HR Director. This role is critical to the efficiency and effectiveness of the Milken Institute by providing operational support for the office and administrative duties as assigned.
What is an HR Generalist?
HR Generalists have a broad knowledge of human resources functions, from hiring to onboarding and from employee compensation to evaluation. If you have a passion for HR, are familiar with labor law and look to kickstart your career in the field, this is the place to be.
You’ll undertake a wide range of HR tasks, like organizing trainings, administering employee benefits and leaves and crafting HR policies. You will use Human Resources Information Systems to ensure all employee records are up-to-date and confidential. And you’ll also act as the main point of contact for employees’ queries on HR-related topics.
The goal is to ensure the HR department’s operations will be running smoothly and effectively to deliver maximum value to the organization as a whole.
- Assist in talent acquisition and recruitment processes
- Conduct employee onboarding and help organize training & development initiatives
- Provide support to employees in various HR-related topics such as leaves and compensation and resolve any issues that may arise
- Promote HR programs to create an efficient and conflict-free workplace
- Assist in development and implementation of human resource policies
- Undertake tasks around performance management
- Gather and analyze data with useful HR metrics, like time to hire and employee turnover rates
- Organize quarterly and annual employee performance reviews
- Maintain employee files and records in electronic and paper form
- Enhance job satisfaction by resolving issues promptly, applying new perks and benefits and organizing team building activities
- Ensure compliance with labor regulations
- Administer compensation and benefit plans
Skills and Qualifications
- Professionalism: Represent the Milken Institute well to external parties with a sincere level of professional courtesy and tact. Having a calm, collected demeanor is crucial for the high level of multi-tasking and coordination involved.
- Writing: The ability to write concise, business emails is essential, as is the ability to converse professionally with multiple stakeholders on the phone. We expect an attitude of "no job is too small," and an attention to detail that ensures quality outcomes for our team.
- Drive: The ideal candidate will be eager to take on new responsibilities and challenges. We are looking for someone who is a systematic thinker and fast learner, even with minimal supervision. The ability to effectively prioritize, and respond promptly to internal and external communications is essential.
- Proven experience as an HR Generalist
- Understanding of general human resources policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of employment/labor laws
- Outstanding knowledge of MS Office; HRIS systems will be a plus
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Aptitude in problem-solving
- Desire to work as a team with a result driven approach
- BSc/BA in Business administration or relevant field
- Additional HR training will be a plus
Note: We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time. Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all applications materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.