FasterCures is a Center of the Milken Institute, a global non-profit organization. Today, there are approximately 10,000 known diseases affecting our world; we have treatments for about 500 of them. The current system to discover and develop those treatments is complex, siloed, imperfect, and not aligned with the needs and wants of patients. Much of the inefficiency is entrenched. At FasterCures, we envision a system that is run effectively and driven by patient needs. We envision a system where the potential of transformative science is fully realized through the right incentives, bringing better and faster treatments to the people who need them.
We define and map current and emerging barriers that slow medical treatments, finding the areas of challenge, and proposing more patient-serving solutions. We address the following types of barriers to an optimal biomedical system: policy barriers, market disincentives, and areas of where a lack of leadership slows progress. Finally, because we know we cannot do this alone, we engage and catalyze our network to take on these important challenges.
The Senior Associate is primarily responsible for supporting the mission of FasterCures by assisting with stakeholder engagement, community activation and FasterCures events programming. The Senior Associate will work with internal staff to bring FasterCures’ programs to external audiences and activate our community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports senior staff in formalizing and engaging our network of stakeholders, including the network of forward-thinking disease research foundations that have comprised our TRAIN (The Research Acceleration and Innovation Network) program
- Assists with FasterCures events that engage key external thought leaders, including identification of potential attendees and presenters, outreach, development of content, and coordination across FasterCures and the Milken Institute in support of the event
- Aids in identifying, researching, and cultivating strategic relationships
- Supports communications staff in the framing of programmatic materials for FasterCures’ audiences, including one-pagers, issue briefs, and other written pieces as-needed
- Develops programmatic web and social media content in conjunction with the FasterCures communications director
- Serves as project manager for long-term and short-term projects involving the Partners for Cures Network
- Adheres to the Institute’s mission, policies, and general safety practices, including any unique safety practices for the department and/or building
- Safeguards and keeps any information, observations, or viewpoints regarding Institute business and employee matters confidential
- Other duties as assigned
- Has ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff
- Has ability to manage multiple tasks and relationships with minimal supervision
- Has ability to meet deadlines
- Utilizes problem solving skills
- Uses proper English spelling, grammar, punctuation, and diction
- Understands and follows oral and written instructions
- Uses proper communication style and customer service methods over the phone and in-person with high professionalism
- Expert user in Microsoft Suite 2007 or higher (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, and familiarity with Salesforce)
- Brilliant troubleshooting skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends as needed
- Desire to work in a challenging, fast-paced environment
Experience & Training
- Bachelor’s degree at minimum
- Minimum 3 years “hands-on” experience with above technologies in an office environment
- Experience conducting outreach and community activation desired
- Strong interest in public health, health policy, patient engagement, data sharing, health care investing, or medical research related fields
Working Conditions & Travel Requirements
This position will work in a professional office environment. This person will also be required to travel occasionally to other offices and/or venues to assist with events as needed, requiring occasional work outside of traditional hours. International along with domestic travel is possible.
Note: We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time. Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all applications materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.