LOS ANGELES — With political upheaval, fiscal pressures and natural disasters creating new, unexpected economic challenges, senior decision-makers from around the world will focus on finding and sharing solutions that will bolster and sustain recovery at the 14th annual Milken Institute Global Conference.
More than 500 speakers, including major investors, CEOs, government officials, Nobel Prize winners, scientists, educators, philanthropists, top journalists and other experts will be featured in 140 panels from May 1—4 at the Beverly Hilton. They will debate issues such as market stability, job creation, health care, energy security and education reform. The conference draws a capacity audience of 3,000 attendees from around the world, many of whom are influential leaders in their own right.
"The stakes for solving the world's most pressing challenges have never been higher — and we believe the possibility for true progress has also never been greater," said Mike Klowden, president and CEO of the Milken Institute. "The key to meeting these challenges is devising sustainable solutions grounded in sound economics — and that's the focus of the Global Conference."
Among this year's Global Conference key speakers:
- Eike Batista, Chairman and CEO, EBX Group
- Gary Becker, Nobel Laureate; Professor of Economics and Sociology, University of Chicago
- Jared Bernstein, Chief Economist to Vice President Joe Biden
- Elizabeth Blackburn, Nobel Laureate, 2009; Morris Herzstein Professor of Biology and Physiology, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, UCSF
- Jeb Bush, President, Jeb Bush and Associates LLC; former Governor, State of Florida (R)
- Ronnie C. Chan, Chairman, Hang Lung Properties Ltd.
- Joseph Dear, Chief Investment Officer, California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS)
- Sir Richard Dearlove, Master of Pembroke College, Cambridge; former Chief, British Secret Intelligence Service (MI6)
- Barry Diller, Chairman and Senior Executive, IAC; Chairman, Expedia Inc.
- Mohamed El-Erian, CEO and Co-Chief Investment Officer, PIMCO
- Niall Ferguson, Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History, Harvard University; William Ziegler Professor, Harvard Business School; and Philippe Roman Visiting Professor, London School of Economics
- Kenneth Griffin, Founder and CEO, Citadel
- Orrin Hatch, U.S. Senator (R-Utah); Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Finance
- Mary Kay Henry, International President, SEIU
- Dan Hesse, President and CEO, Sprint Nextel Corp.
- Jeffrey Immelt, Chairman and CEO, General Electric
- Donna Karan, Founder, Urban Zen and The Donna Karan Co.
- Teisuke Kitayama, President, Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group Inc.
- Duncan Niederauer, CEO, NYSE Euronext
- Peter Orszag, Vice Chairman, Global Banking, Citigroup; former Director, Office of Management and Budget
- T. Boone Pickens, Entrepreneur and Philanthropist; Founder, BP Capital
- Alice Rivlin, Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution; Co-Chair, Debt Reduction Task Force, Bipartisan Policy Center
- Wilbur Ross Jr., Chairman and CEO, WL Ross & Co. LLC; Chairman, Invesco Private Capital
- Nouriel Roubini, Chairman and Co-Founder, Roubini Global Economics; Professor of Economics and International Business, Stern School of Business, New York University
- David Rubenstein, Co-Founder and Managing Director, The Carlyle Group
- Myron Scholes, Nobel Laureate, 1997; Frank E. Buck Professor of Finance, Emeritus, Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Andy Stern, Senior Fellow, Georgetown Public Policy Institute; former President, SEIU
- Laura Tyson, S. K. and Angela Chan Chair in Global Management, Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley; former Chairman, National Economic Counci
- Ruben Vardanian, Chairman and CEO, Troika Dialog
- Chris Viehbacher, CEO, Sanofi-Aventis
- James Watson, Nobel Laureate, 1962; Chancellor Emeritus, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Thomas Wilson, Chairman, President and CEO, Allstate; Deputy Chairman, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- R. James Woolsey, Chairman, Woolsey Partners; Of Counsel, Goodwin Procter LLP; former Director, Central Intelligence Agency
- Steve Wynn, Chairman and CEO, Wynn Resorts
Complete information about the Global Conference, including a full program and a list of speakers confirmed to date, is available here.
Note to media: Credentialed press wishing to cover the 2011 Global Conference must use the media registration form on the website's registration page. You are not registered until your application has been approved and you receive email confirmation.